Sunday, September 18, 2011

Icefighter

Last shift we took the fire engine out to practice pumping operations.  We deployed to hose lines and sprayed a ton of water out on to the Transition (what we call the beach under all the snow and ice).   Knowing full well that we were going to get a little wet and the weather out side was "nice" (10mph winds and a high of -9F if I recall correctly), we bundled up under our bunker gear and tried to avoid getting drenched.    Taking the supply hose that connects to the fire hydrants up a snowy embankment provided a new and interesting environmental challenge.  Today I am going to go find some ‘Yak-tracks’ to add to my ensemble.  Going up and down the hill just to hook up to the hydrant required as many slips and spills as a Chaplin clip.   Now how would that look on a real fire scene?   None the less I got some cool pics of throwing water on ice which I will share later.  

The other night there were some nacreous clouds out.  They look like this or individual ovals with the same bands of color.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely breathtaking... I miss you man. I hope life is going all right down there. Only a few months til I get to see you again!

    ReplyDelete